Taping is an art, and there is definitely a process of trial and error to find what works best for you and your child. Often a piece of an extra thin dressing called Duoderm is placed on the skin, the nasal tube is run on top of it, and then a clear Tegaderm dressing is applied on top.
Here is a common method:
- Prior to placing the NG-tube, clean and dry the cheek and apply a piece of Duoderm Extra Thin to the cheek.
- Insert the tube and lay it on top of the Duoderm.
- Secure the tube to the Duoderm with a piece of Tegaderm.
- Add a small strip of tape closer to the nose (Durapore works well for this).
- Tape tube to clothing at the back of the neck to keep the end of the tube accessible.