Power outages are common, and are becoming more common as the weather has become more erratic due to climate change. It is important to have a plan in place to handle a power outage, whether the outage is brief or extended.
The two most common problems in a power outage are the inability to charge your feeding pump, and not having access to refrigeration for formula or blenderized meals. Those who make blenderized meals daily may also not be able to use a blender without power.
Make sure you have a plan in place ahead of time to handle a power outage by having supplies on hand that can be used without power.
Suggested Supplies for Power Outages
- Gravity feeding bags
- 60ml syringes that can be used for bolus feeds
- Shelf-stable formula or commercial blenderized meals
- Sterile or distilled water, if you lose your water source when the power is out
Additional Helpful Supplies
- Inverter or DC to AC car charger, to charge the pump in a vehicle
- Marine battery with inverter
- Cooler and pre-frozen ice packs